VACo seeks county supervisors and executive staff interested in serving on steering and operational committees. The steering committees consider proposals from member counties for inclusion in VACo’s legislative program.
They also provide direction to the VACo staff on policy issues arising from legislative and state agency studies. Steering committee members are selected from each of VACo’s 13 regions.
The operational and ad-hoc committees are responsible for helping direct the staff in the activities, programs and functions of VACo.
- Economic Development and Planning: Land use planning, economic development, infrastructure, growth management.
- Education: Public educational issues.
- Environment and Agriculture: Environment, agriculture, public works activities affected by environmental laws and regulations.
- Energy: Affordable and reliable electricity, renewable energy sources, energy efficiency.
- Finance: Appropriations and taxation.
- General Government: General government issues such as Freedom of Information, procurement, public safety and elections.
- Health and Human Resources: Social services, health, welfare and “at-risk” youth and crime prevention.
- Transportation: Transportation issues.
- Budget and Finance: Establishes a budget format and a budget that directs resources to the top priorities set by the membership to allow the association to achieve its goals.
- Conference Planning: VACo’s conference planning committee helps assure that the annual meeting provides members with valuable information for planning and implementing new ideas and technologies and serves as a focal point for imparting information about legislative issues.
- Nominations: This committee meets before the annual business meeting and prepares a slate of officers to present to the attending membership.
- Resolutions: This committee is comprised of chairs and vice chairs of all the Steering Committees.