VACo Executive Directors
County Service Through the Years
2021 | 20 Years | 10 Years
Virginia County Board Chairs and Vice Chairs
Board Chairs and Vice Chairs Through the Years
Jefferson Cup Recipients Over the Years
October 25, 1964
The League of Virginia Counties Executive Board Meeting
The Committee that had been appointed by the President Stuart T. DeBell of Fairfax County to study methods and procedures for recognizing outstanding programs, contributions, and achievements in local government, reported. The Committee recommended the establishment of an award for outstanding contributions and achievements in local government to be made at the discretion of an Awards Committee in a presentation at the Annual Meeting. The Committee further recommended that the Jefferson Cup suitably engraved to set on a wooden base be adopted as the award. The award was to be called THE JEFFERSON CUP AWARD.
Criteria established for award recipients
1. Any individual who has made an outstanding contribution to local government may be a recipient of the Award.
2. Any local government which has participated in an outstanding local government activity may be a recipient.
3. The Award is to be made at the Annual Meeting of the League but may not necessarily be made each year.
4. Nominations are to be made to the Awards Committee by Aug. 15 of each year prior to the Annual Meeting.
5. Any additional rules, regulations, standards can be adopted by the Awards Committee.
**Excerpt form the VACo Board of Directors Minutes-Aug. 13, 1995.