Close this search box.

The Voice of the

Commonwealth's Counties

Visit Louisa County and the Louisa County Historic Courthouse

Location: 100 West Main Street / Elm Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: D Whiley Anderson
Contractor: Samuel Ragland

Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square. The north front has a large portico with four tall Ionic columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a small balcony on the second story. On the center of the roof is a large octagonal drum with black colored dome and lantern at the top. In the interior, there is five foot high matchboard paneling and plaster walls above. Plain cornices run along the join with the ceiling. Closed-string stairways with large square oak newel posts decorated in the egg-and-dart motif, ascend to the second story. The large courtroom is located under the dome, which is decorated with a simple cornice and lighted by softly tinted windows. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 16th Judicial Circuit. The building was renovated and an addition constructed in 2000. On the southeast side of the building is the old two story County Jail (1868), on the northwest side is the one story Crank Building (1830) and on the north side is the R Earl Ogg Memorial Building (1917) which formerly housed the County General District Court and was designed by Eugene Bradbury as the First National Bank of Louisa. To the south at 314 West Main Street is the General District Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court housed in the Cunningham Building.


Share This
Recent Posts