The Voice of the

Commonwealth's Counties

Visit Lancaster County and the Lancaster County Historic Courthouse

Location: 8265 Mary Ball Road / Courthouse Road
Built: 1860 – 1861
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Edwin O Robinson
Contractor: Edwin O Robinson

Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lancaster. The south front has a large Roman Doric portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment with fanlight at the roof line. The central entrance is framed with white colored wood. On the hipped roof is a high white colored belfry. A narrow vestibule leads to a large courtroom. A “U” shaped addition was constructed on the north side in 1937. On the Courthouse Green, the original clerk’s office (1797), and the old jail (1870) still stand. Mary Ball Washington Museum, Incorporated uses these two buildings.

SOURCE: courthouses.co

Share This
Recent Posts
Categories