PHOTO CREDIT: Skye Marthaler
Location: 132 Main Street / Courthouse Square
Built: 1830 – 1831
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: General John Hartwell Cocke, the owner of nearby Bremo plantation
Contractor: Walker Timberlake
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Palmyra to the north of the courthouse. The south front has a large Greek Doric portico supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The building is distinguished by the extensive use of stone for the column and pilaster capitals, steps, water table, window sills, and lintels. Two levels of windows on the sides as well as the three arched windows at the rear are separated by pilasters. Conspicuously inscribed on the stone lintel above the entrance is: “THE MAXIM HELD SACRED BY EVERY FREE PEOPLE – OBEY THE LAWS.” In the interior, is the courtroom with original balustrade around the judge’s bench. The two staircases are unusual in that both break for a landing about one third of the way up and are outfitted with lanterns. On the second story is a gallery in the courtroom. To the south is the old stone jail constructed in 1829 and to the northeast is the Clerk’s Office.