PHOTO CREDIT: Mojo Hand
Location: 202 North Church Lane / Queen Street
Built: 1728 – 1729
Architect: John Moore
Contractor: John Moore
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story red colored brick structure. The brick is laid in Flemish bond with arched windows. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the west of the courthouse in the center of the city. The south side has a square brick tower with arched entrance on the first story and open belfry at the top. The building was partly burned by the British in 1814 and served as the courthouse until 1848. In 1875, the building became the Beale Memorial Baptist Church and the belfry was added. In 2004, the building was acquired by the County.