The Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is accepting comments and recommendation on the draft Virginia Telecommunications Initiative (VATI) Program Guidelines and Criteria for FY 2021 grant applications. VATI grants are available to local governments (includes towns, cities, counties, economic and industrial development authorities, broadband or wireless authorities, planning district commissions, etc.) to extend broadband service to currently unserved areas. To be eligible the local government must include a private-sector provider as a co-applicant.
Written comments submitted to email@example.com are due May 18. Interested counties may also participate in input sessions being held on April 23, hosted by DHCD remotely using Adobe Connect or via conference call. Click here to register. Proposed changes to the application process and criteria for determining awards are outlined in this presentation given during the April 14 input session.
Following the deadline for comments on the draft guidelines and criteria, the timeline for application submission and challenges are as follows:
- June 9 | How-to-Apply workshop and webinar
- July 13 | Deadline to notify DHCD intent of application
- July 17 | DHCD posts potential applications on VATI website
- August 17 | Application deadline
- August 24 | DHCD posts applications on VATI website
- September 23 | Challenge application deadline
- November 9 | Deadline for responses to challenges
For more information on the VATI program go to https://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/vati