Photo by Sarah Stierch (CC BY 4.0)
This four arch stone bridge was built in 1802 as part of Ashby’s Gap Turnpike, and is believed to be the oldest and longest stone bridge in Virginia. It is one of the few remaining in Virginia, and was the scene of a cavalry and artillery duel on June 21, 1863. A Civil War Trails marker and interpretation is available. The bridge was bypassed by the relocation of Route 50 in 1957.