Location: 165 Main Street / Water Street
Built: 1847 – 1848 / 1947 – 1948
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Robert Johnson / Daley Craig
Contractor: Robert Johnson / CW Barger
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Monterey. The north front has a large porch with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a white colored cupola with steep roof. On the northwest and northeast are one story wings with hipped roofs. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 25th Judicial Circuit. The architect and the contractor was Robert Johnson. In 1947, the building was rebuilt. The architect was Daley Craig and the contractor was CW Barger.
History: The county was created in 1847 and Monterey was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was erected in Monterey in 1847 to 1848 at a cost of $4,935. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1947. The courthouse was rebuilt as the second and present courthouse in 1947 to 1948.