Location: 22 Court Street / Ford Avenue
Built: 1838 – 1839
Style: Roman Temple
Architect: William Donoho and William B Phillips
Contractor: William Donoho and William B Phillips
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Stanardsville. The brick was laid in Flemish bond. The north front has a large portico supported by four white colored Tuscan columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The Roman Doric entablature continue around the building. Wide white colored pilasters are on the façade. The entrance is framed with white colored wood trim. There is a gable roof with fan-light. The interior contains a courtroom on the second story with twin stairs ascending to an elliptical curved gallery. The building houses the Circuit Court and General District Court of the 16th Judicial District. In 1927 and 1928, the front portico was constructed. A fire in 1979 destroyed the interior, but the exterior remained intact. On the east side is the Old County Jail and on the west side is the County Office Building ( 1938 ) which is attached to the one story addition along the south side of the courthouse.
Note: The courthouse was built by William B Phillips, who was a master builder of Thomas Jefferson and the plans followed the Jefferson design for courthouses as did the courthouse in Page County.