Location: 303 Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1851 – 1852
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Scuyler W Smith
Contractor: Stokes Pusey & Company of Roanoke County
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of New Castle. The southeast front has a large portico supported by four large white columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are one story wings on the north and south sides. Above the entrance is an octagonal white wood cupola with red colored roof. The courthouse followed the design of the Botetourt County courthouse. In the interior, the stairway has turned balusters which bear the reputed saber slashes of the Federal solders. The courtroom is located on the second story with the Judge’s bench located over the front entrance. Rectangular panels ornament the bench. The building houses the County Circuit Court, Couny General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 25th Judicial Circuit. On the north side is a red colored brick annex. The building was renovated in 1999. The architect was MCA Martin, Company Architects Inc. On the northwest side is an addition constructed in 2005.
SOURCE: American Courthouses | Courthouses.co