Location: 104 North Church Street / East Main Street
Built: 1837 – 1838
Style: Roman Revival
Architect: David Meade
Contractor: D H Allen, Magistrate and County Commissioners
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored Flemish-bond brick structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Berryville. The building is part of the Courthouse Complex which consists of the old courthouse, new courthouse, old clerk’s one story red colored brick office built in 1880s and sheriff’s office and jail built in 1900. The west front has a large portico with four white Tuscan colored columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola. The building has limestone rubble foundations. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the first story. The judge’s bench is on the north wall with the large arched window above it. There is a rear gallery fronted by a Tuscan entablature. The winding south stairs have square balusters and rounded handrails. The building houses the County General District Court and County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the 26th Judicial Circuit. The building was damaged by fire in 1850 and was remodeled in 1851 in the Neo-Classical style when the portico and cupola were added. An addition was added on the north side in the 1960’s. On the south side is the new courthouse and on the the southwest corner of the grounds is the two story brick Old Sheriff’s Office and Jail built in 1900.