Photo credit: Calder Loth/DHR, 2000
Location: 515 North Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1870 – 1875
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Ira Coltrane of Hillsville
Contractor: Ira Coltrane, S. Collier Jr., A.H. Mitchell and W.H. Sutherland
The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Hillsville. The shape of the building is a “T” with north and south wings. The southwest front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are three stone trimmed arches with stair cases in the outside arches. The window headers are stone. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white colored wood cupola. The roof is pitched. In the interior, the former courtroom was located on the second story. The courthouse is now the Carroll County Historical Courthouse.