As part of its organizational work on the first day of the 2022 session, the General Assembly adopted a procedural resolution on January 12 that sets out important dates and deadlines for the 2022 legislative session.
Key dates for the 2022 Session
- January 12: General Assembly convened at noon. Bills that were “prefiled” were due to be submitted by 10 a.m. All bills and regulations affecting the Virginia Retirement System or creating or continuing a study were required to be filed before adjournment. Governor Northam delivered the State of the Commonwealth address at 7 p.m.
- January 14: Deadline for submission of budget amendments
- January 15: Joint Assembly for inaugural ceremonies
- January 17: Joint Assembly for address by Governor Youngkin
- January 21: Deadline for all bills or joint resolutions to be filed by 3 p.m. (with some exceptions, such as legislation introduced at the request of the Governor or legislation allowed to be introduced after deadlines by unanimous consent)
- February 15: “Crossover” deadline for each chamber to complete work on legislation originating in that chamber (except for the budget bill)
- February 20: Money committees report budgets by midnight
- February 22: Money committee budget proposals available by noon
- February 24: Houses of introduction must complete work on budget
- March 2: Deadline for each chamber to complete work on other chamber’s budget proposal and revenue bills and appoint conferees
- March 7: Deadline for committee action on legislation by midnight
- March 12: Scheduled adjournment sine die
- April 27: Reconvened session for consideration of Governor’s amendments and vetoes
VACo Contact: Katie Boyle