The House and Senate adopted the procedural resolution governing the schedule for the 2020 General Assembly session on January 10, 2020. Key dates for the 2020 Session are as follows:
- January 8: General Assembly convened at noon. Bills that were “prefiled” were due to be submitted by 10 a.m. Bills affecting the Virginia Retirement System or creating or continuing a study were required to be filed before adjournment of their respective chambers of introduction.
- January 10: Deadline for submission of budget amendments by 5 p.m.
- January 17: Deadline for remaining bills to be filed at 3 p.m. (there are some exceptions, such as when legislation is granted unanimous consent to be introduced after the deadline).
- February 11: “Crossover” deadline for each chamber to complete work on legislation originating in that chamber (except for the budget bill)
- February 16: House Appropriations and Senate Finance and Appropriations Committees report their respective budgets by midnight.
- February 20: Deadline for each chamber to complete work on its budget.
- February 26: Deadline for each chamber to complete work on the other chamber’s budget and appoint budget conferees; also the deadline for each chamber to act on revenue bills from the other chamber and appoint conferees.
- March 2: Deadline for committee action on bills at midnight.
- March 7: Scheduled adjournment sine die.
- April 22: Reconvened session to consider gubernatorial amendments and vetoes.
VACo Contact: Katie Boyle