The bills grant special privileges to a single industry at the expense of the local taxpayers. Forced use of public property and right of way without adequate compensation forces taxpayers to subsidize a single industry.
HB 2196 will be voted on in the House Commerce and Labor Committee on Thursday afternoon in House Room D.
SB 1282 will be voted on in the Senate Commerce and Labor Committee on Monday afternoon in Senate Room B.
VACo Members – please call your legislators now to oppose HB 2196 and SB 1282.
- REQUIRES THAT LOCALITIES OFFER UNFETTERED USE OF ALL LOCAL RIGHT OF WAY AND LOCAL BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS
– No other non-public business or utility has this kind of access to local property.
– Creates a path for franchisees and other businesses to demand access at the same rate to local property as well.
- APPLIES TO ALL WIRELESS INFRASTRUCTURE INCLUDING 150’ TOWERS
– Severely limits citizen input on siting and restricts permitting processes.
– Rights of way that have buried utilities will be inundated with these unsightly towers.
– Permitting fees will not cover the cost of review to the locality.
– Rental fees for placement on local property are severely limited by the code.
And please call you legislators today to oppose these problematic bills.
House Commerce and Labor Committee: Kilgore (Chairman), Byron (Vice Chair), Ware, Hugo, Marshall, D.W., Cline, Miller, Loupassi, Bell, Robert B., Habeeb, Villanueva, Farrell, O’Quinn, Yancey, Ransone, Ward, Tyler, Keam, Filler-Corn, Kory, Lindsey
VACo Contact: Joe Lerch, AICP